Intern Software Engineer
Interns will join the team for their university work placement, learning how to rapidly and effectively design and deliver great software in an Agile environment that adds real value to our customers. You will work with and learn from our best tech talent, being coached, challenged and mentored as you progress!
Intern software engineer
2019 INTERN APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED - Contact us to find out more about the process in 2020.
As an intern software engineer, you will work as part of an Agile team to rapidly and effectively deliver great software that adds real value to our customers. You will be challenged. You will get the opportunity to work with and learn from our best software engineers. You will have the chance to be creative and have your voice heard. We will offer you a competitive salary and support you through mentoring, coaching and training programs.
In this role, you will:
- Deliver real value by working as part of an Agile team to solve real business problems.
- Communicate and collaborate with your team and customers to have exposure to the entire software development lifecycle.
- Be supported in delivering high-quality, tested and secure code following the processes and standards within the team.
- Use a range of architectures, tools and frameworks, and have the opportunity to experiment and learn new technologies.
- Have the opportunity to suggest and implement new ideas and innovations.
- Have the opportunity to collaborate with and learn from developers across our organisation through internal networks, events and communities of practice.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be just as good at working with people as technology. Someone who makes a team better by being part of it.
- Listen to and empathise with our customers to provide them with the solutions they really need.
- Understand the importance and principles of writing clean, quality code.
- Be proactive about continuous improvement and innovation. Someone who doesn’t just dream it but gets it done.
- Show a desire to learn from others, knowing when to ask for help.
- Be willing to share their own experiences and expertise.
- Be interested in technology and actively keep their skills up to date.
- Belfast Applicants: Currently studying a degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or an IT related discipline at either Queen’s University Belfast or Ulster University.
- Dublin Applicants: Currently in 3rd year of a four year degree in a Computer Science, Software Engineering or IT related degree; available to take on a 6 month, full time work placement between January and September 2021.
- Evidence of good first year grades.
- A proven ability to deliver working code.
Frequently asked questions
When do Intern Software Engineers start?
In our Belfast office, intern software engineers start in June. In our Dublin office, intern software engineers start in April.
What percentage of Software Engineer Interns are accepted into Associate Software Engineer positions?
In 2020, 100% of Software Engineer Interns from 2018/2019 were offered Associate roles. Intern software engineers are invited to apply and submit a portfolio of work for associate software engineer positions prior to returning to university to complete their final year.
What year of university do I need to be in to apply for an Intern position?
In our Belfast office, intern software engineers work for us in their third year of their degree. You will be invited to apply for these positions in September of the second year of your degree. These positions are distributed via our partner universities and third level educational institutions. In our Dublin office, intern software engineers work for us in the third year of their degree. The internship begins in April and concludes in September. You will be invited to apply for these positions in September of the second year of your degree. These positions are distributed via our partnership universities and third level educational institutions.