Make Yourself at Home
Wednesday, April 22, 2020
Since we all moved to working from home, we’ve been gathering and sharing a range of useful links internally – and we don’t just want to keep these to ourselves any more!
We’ve been scouring social media and taking employee recommendations to put together a guide called Make Yourself at Home. Below are some of our favourite links on the themes of Working at Home, Learning at Home, Staying Well, Virtual Activities and Entertaining the Kids.
Working at Home
Tips and ideas to make working at home easier and more effective.
- 7 Weird Ways to Combat Hermit Habits as a Remote Worker - Trello
- Putting the W back in WFH - Jeremy Vandehey on Medium
- How to work from home when your kids are home, too - Atlassian
- I Spent a Year in Space, and I Have Tips on Isolation to Share - New York Times
Learning at Home
Get inspired and learn something new - start investing in yourself today.
- Free Learning from The Open University - OpenLearn
- Learn a language with Duolingo - Duolingo
- Here are 450 Ivy League courses you can take online right now for free - freeCodeCamp
- The 10 most popular coding challenge websites for 2020 - freeCodeCamp
- Online Courses and Degrees from Top Universities - Future Learn
We all need to look after our physical and mental health - here are some helpful links.
- Monthly Action Calendars - Action for Happiness
- Free support during the current global crisis - Headspace
- The Fabulous app will help you develop healthy habits - Tapptitude
- Coronavirus and your wellbeing - Mind
- Keep Happy, Keep Healthy - Jamie Oliver
- That Discomfort You’re Feeling Is Grief - Harvard Business Review
- Providing free, impartial money advice and tool - Money Advice Service
- Stress Control - free online classes from the NHS and HSE
There are so many things we can't do just now, but there are lots of innovative ways to enjoy activities.
- 12 Famous Museums Offering Virtual Tours - Travel + Leisure
- Bruce Springsteen, London Calling: Live in Hyde Park 2009 - YouTube
- The Hidden Worlds of the National Parks - Google
- Explore all of the Stay Home #WithMe videos - YouTube
- 11 ideas to grow your way through Coronavirus self-isolation boredom - Jack Wallington
- Sporcle - tens of thousands of online quizzes
Especially for Kids
Kids getting cabin fever? Here are some suggestions.
- Interesting and engaging reading for kids - Reading Eggs
- Audiobooks for Kids - Audible
- Free resources for home learning, in-school and family activities - STEM.org.uk
- Amazon Fire for Kids Unlimited - Amazon
- Learn about nature - RSPB
- 30 Days of Creativity - Apple
- BBC Bitesize
- KS1 and KS2 STEM resources - Institute of Engineering and Technology
Some of our employees have written about their experiences so far:
- The Engineer’s Guide to Being Stuck at Home - Written by Andy O’Sullivan
- My Working From Home Guide, The New Norm? - Written by Ben Steel
- Coronavirus induced WFH Policies Could Actually Benefit Companies and Employees - Written by Ademola Kazeem
Interested in our current vacancies? You can find them here...